Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Kids of America

...more specifically the kids of Avon, Ohio

At holiday parties, you never know what is going to happen.  Who is going to fall down drunk, or who will leave early yawning that it's past their bedtime as they have an early squash game.  This holiday party I spent time talking to the kids of Avon...who are intriguing, amazing, engaging, interesting, endearing, respectful, fun, impressive, curious, smart, driven, but they don't take themselves too seriously. They're smart with a personality which can be a hard thing to find, and not to mention beautiful too.

My most interesting conversations were had at this party.  Looking at these college kids, I saw just a little bit of myself.  A girl from Ohio, freshly fallen off the buckeye truck, educated, landing in Silicon Valley a bit naive but so curious, so ready to dive in and make a difference.  I see this passion in these kids (am I old enough to call them kids?).  They want to be something good, and make a difference.  They're finding their way, figuring out what mark they want to make and giving it their all.  Studying hard, thinking about their future, driving for something great...and I have confidence in them that they will ALL do something great, something that fits them, is true to their self.  I can't wait to see what these young powerhouses become, they have it all within reach.

Their interest is true and genuine...and awesome.  They taught me to take selfies (my first and last selfie), and duly noted that I cannot make fish lips needed to get that model look. They also laughed at my inappropriate  jokes.

Giggling because I can't make fish lips

Not model like but stern, painful looking


Upon exiting the basement way later than I expected, and prodded along by my Dad's text about 3 hours earlier simply saying, "it's time", I said goodbye to their parents.  I said, "aren't you guys so proud of how you've raised your kids? They're awesome, smart and beautiful."  

I seriously hope it's something in the water here, or the proximity to the game of golf or something. I hope my kids have this same naive curiosity, conquer the world attitude, with the smarts to back it up. Maybe their parents will write a parenting book but they are humble and admitted that there were a few stumbles before their kids became this good. Some of these kids might pick science careers, and that gives me hope that they'll go after cures. Gosh, I hope they do.

So kids of Avon, thanks for the fun, thanks for gabbing it up, and go get your slice of the world!  I'll be watching and rooting for you all the way!

Next time you're at a holiday party, you may want to consider hanging with the college kids, you might learn something.

xo,

Amy








1 comment: