Friday, April 21, 2017

Yesterday

Yesterday was one of those meaningful life experiences that I hope I never forget. Yesterday was beauty. Yesterday was humanity.  Yesterday was a day never to forget even though it has passed.

I'm not one of those mothers who has her camera out every second trying to photograph every moment.  Not that that is bad, I capture a lot but yesterday I didn't capture much but in my mind I did. I want to tell you about yesterday and the beauty I experienced.  I am going to try to tell you this in a way that you too feel what I felt but I am not sure you ever really will.  Yesterday I saw the magic, and the beauty of human interaction.

Nick and I waited in the procedure room on the Hematology/Oncology Floor.  Nick had talked about his Doctor the day before and had pulled out all of his best Pokemon toys to show his doctor. His doctor came to the door.  The door and room has lots of windows so Nick saw him coming. As the doctor opened the door, Nicholas ran to him and jumped in his arms yelling Dr. Hanna, Dr. Hanna, Dr. Hanna. Nick literally jumped into his arms, hugging him. It was the sweetest experience I have seen in a long time.  Dr Hanna came in and told Nick that "he had made his day". Nick proceed to unpack his backpack showing Dr Hanna all of his Pokemon possessions. Dr Hanna sat and read a few pages to Nick from his "Pokemon Manual". He explained to Nick how there are some good Pokemon who warn you when something bad is going to happen, so they're really good guys. It was adorable, and it took everything in my power to just watch and not grab my phone to capture this moment.

Dr Hanna began to set up for the procedure, and Nick was a little nervous. The procedure began and Nick was asking a lot of questions as to what was happening to him.  He closed his eyes, and clenched them shut as hard as he could and ground his teeth together to get through the part where the needle sticks him. My job is to distract him talking about Pokemon, golf, etc.  He was peaceful though, very peaceful as he knew his friend was in charge of the needle that was entering his port that feeds medicine into his spine.  If it was possible to achieve peace in that moment, this was peace.  Dr Hanna finished the procedure, told Nick he made his day, and was off to his next patient after receiving a sincere hug from his favorite fan.

After that Music Therapy came in, lead by Arissa, to sing, dance, and laugh.  Nick made up many songs, and really rocked the Pokemon anthem. It was pure joy, and for a moment we didn't think about where we were.  We learned about instruments, and Nick remembered things Arissa had brought last time and made his requests again.  At times, he wouldn't comply with the song something he likely also inherited from his Mom.

Nick is a boy with so much love. He loves his family, his doctors, his nurses, Pokemon, and life.  This is who is being saved, this is who is being given a chance to fight for his life.  He is fighting, along with us, along with those who love him.  He is amazing, and I am thankful to be his Mom for he gives me beauty in the most difficult of moments.  Nick never forgets he is a kid, and neither should we.

Love Forever,

Nick's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment